Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bucaramanga - First Sight

Sitting on the beach at midnight with an obnoxiously drunk blonde American girl, 2 cute Peruvian girls, and an Australian guy passing a bottle of whiskey back and forth I realized my nightlife experiences in Colombia suck so far. I mean, this moment is nice I guess. People probably fantasize about it, but it's not exactly "nightlife", just some alcoholics on the baby bottle on the beach. And maybe that isn’t a really fair assessment because I had only been “out” legitimately twice, my second and third night in Cartagena, and I’ve almost been here a month! I did enjoy those two nights out however I only interacted with people I had met at the hostel and went to the bar with, which is ok, but at some point I should really make an effort to talk to Colombians too.

Two days ago I took a night bus from Santa Marta to Bucaramanga, which put me at my hostel’s doorstep at about 5:30am. I slept for 2-3 hours and started the day exploring my new neighborhood. I found a little empanada shop run by a really nice and chatty older lady, plus the chicken and cheese empanadas were the best I’d had in Colombia. 3 empanadas and a Tropical Hit later (coming to a total of about $3 US dollars) I came across a guy selling fresh pineapple slices. And by fresh I mean he cuts the entire thing up in front of you, a clear plastic bag the size of my foot full of pineapple chunks with a toothpick as a utensil set me back .55 US cents, this morning keeps getting better.

Semana Santa is this week, it has just begun and it’s already pissing me off. I have to leave Colombia within the next three days, but if I wait to the last minute the buses may be full and I’ll end up overstaying my VISA, something I would like to avoid.

I booked a 2am bus to Cucuta (the closest border town) which is supposedly a 7 hour ride; although the same bus with the same company leaving at 6 am only takes 4 hours… I wonder if we are making many more stops. I checked out of my hostel today and now I’m just hanging around until 2am to take the bus, which saves me cash by not having to pay for a place to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment